- Be familiar with the winter storm warning messages
- Service snow removal equipment and have rock salt on hand to melt ice on walkways and kitty litter to generate temporary traction
- Make sure you have sufficient heating fuel; regular fuel sources may be cut off.
- Install and check smoke detectors
Winterize your home:
- Insulate walls and attic
- Caulk and weather strip doors and windows.
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
Have safe emergency heating equipment available:
- Fireplace with ample supply of wood.
- Small, well vented wood, coal or camp stove with fuel.
- Portable space heaters or kerosene heaters